St Patrick's, Cemaes
St Padrig (or Patrick) ‘new’ Church was built and consecrated in 1865 in the village of Cemaes Bay, during a time of much church building across the island. Many ancient churches had fallen into disrepair or were now at some distance from where the majority of parishioners lived. Llanbadrig Church’s exposed cliff-top position made it difficult to access during bad weather, with even funerals delayed at times.
The new church was designed in the Early English style by Henry Kennedy, a 19th century London-born architect who did much work for the Diocese of Bangor over a 50 year period. In the 1990s a parish room was added on the north side of the church, providing kitchen and toilet facilities.
The fine stained glass in the east window shows St Patrick, as well as St Deiniol (the first Bishop of Bangor) and St David (patron saint of Wales, who consecrated Deiniol as bishop in 545). At the west end of the church there is a triptych of gospel scenes, which previously stood behind the altar.
The privet hedge surrounding the church grounds is over 100 years old, having been planted in 1911.
Open by arrangement
(contact the Reverend Naomi - 07584 988748)